I was very lucky to be in attendance Sunday at the 4th Annual Grand Rapids Strollathon for Rett Syndrome!
I had the opportunity to speak with both Nicole Mast and Marci Poley during the event. Nicole is the Mother and Marci, the Aunt, of Makayla. They are both a part of Makayla's dream team. Nicole describes the disorder as Autism, Cerebral Palsy, and Parkinsons all rolled into one. Marci gets teary eyed as we discuss life expectancy and how it affects daily life in the Mast home. Her words hit me hard as she informs me that often times RTT patients pass away in their sleep with no warning. They have no way of knowing. She explains that she spent a lot of time helping Nicole during her last pregnancy, as she was unable to lift and care for her daughter like she normally does.
I am so impressed by the strength this family has. The determination and hope for a cure is a real thing. It is close and I believe after my research in the last few days that it is entirely possible, but not without help. Please consider ways that you could contribute to this cause as you read through this blog post. Money is wonderful and very needed for research, but if you are not able to give a monetary donation, there are many other ways to contribute; time, skills, love. The possibilities are endless.
I was amazed at the amount of time and love everyone puts into putting this event together!
Once everyone arrived and registered, we started on our stroll around Johnson Park.
Poor little Makayla slept through most of the walk. Who can blame her? It was the perfect weather for a midday nap.
As we rounded the corner back to to the shelter, she woke up. Impeccable timing, cupcakes and princesses are on the horizon!
I've never seen so many princesses and mustaches before! I love it!
There was a temporary tattoo station, manned by a professional, of course!!
You could also get your nails done by a pro!
Waxing services unfortunately were not available : )
There were many items for sale, as well as a silent auction, with proceeds going directly to the cause. How cute are these hairbows!
I had an amazing time! If you were unable to make it out this year, I urge you to look out for next years date! You don't know what you are missing out on. If you would like to sponsor this event, or have an interest in volunteering in any way please email the Grand Rapids Strollathon Chair, Nicole Mast or call 616-299-2065.
Also, if your family or a family you know is currently suffering with Rett Syndrome, Autism, Cerebral Palsy, or ANY neurological disorder and you are interested in scheduling photography services, please contact JW Picture Studio to set up a complimentary session.
please
email the Grand Rapids Stollathon Chair, Nicole Mast, or call
(616)299-2065. - See more at:
http://www.strollathon.org/grand-rapids#sthash.wlxgE9WO.dpuf
please
email the Grand Rapids Stollathon Chair, Nicole Mast, or call
(616)299-2065. - See more at:
http://www.strollathon.org/grand-rapids#sthash.wlxgE9WO.dpuf
please
email the Grand Rapids Stollathon Chair, Nicole Mast, or call
(616)299-2065. - See more at:
http://www.strollathon.org/grand-rapids#sthash.wlxgE9WO.dpuf


































0 comments:
Post a Comment